I took “Refusing the Call” v 2 to the futurescapes workshop to be critiqued by a group led by Mary Robinette Kowal. Now, I had identified some areas of concern, but I felt pretty good about it overall.
Mary revealed that the problems were much deeper than that. The biggest one was I hadn’t been following the MICE quotient. Now, I thought I understood the MICE quotient. After all, I’m a programmer and eat nested code for breakfast. But I still had an event opening, and a character ending, and everything was fizzling.
As I rested, and pondered on the critique, I realized that the fixes would make things much better, and indeed, when I took v 3 back to them for review, everyone agreed that the story had leveled up. (Yay!) There are still some confusions I need to address, and dialogue to strengthen, but I’m feeling pretty good about it.
- 749 words
- 1 scene
- 2 characters
- Started April 17, 5:00 am
- Finished April 17, 9:00 pm